Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Post 3

I read Mattawa's Tocqueville. The first couple poems I read were strange and different. They didn't come across in a bad way, they just didn't make much sense. A lot of them just felt like a lot of words thrown together in a flowing manner. I wasn't too impressed with his work til I came across the poem Tocqueville.

The poem Tocqueville intrigued more than all of the others I read. It did that because it was like another book of poems in a book of poems. Book-ception. But the smaller poems inside Tocqueville felt super emotionally tied and just made me want to keep reading. I just read and read and couldn't stop til I finished.

The language used was powerful and thought provoking. " It just doesn't look like Racism. What do you call it then? A kind of mould, software, bedrock." This quote isn't very long or use massive vocabulary words, but it makes you process what you just read and also uses a lot of emotional pull.

Khaled Mattawa is a good poet who, I am convinced, can write any and all types of poetry.  I am looking forward to reading more of his works in the future.

1 comment: