Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Post 4

I read the last three poems in the book Tocqueville.  "On My Mind" started off seeming like it was going to be a somewhat normal poem but by the second stanza that changed. The second through the third stanza had a different form than the rest of the poem, besides the fifth, and seemed kind of crazy and hard to follow. When the fourth and sixth stanzas started the form shifted back to normal and was almost perfectly understandable. It was interesting.

"Trees" was emotion but honestly I don't know why. While it sort of followed in my head, it didn't always make sense. There seemed to be a lot shifting around in the poem and it confused me at times, so I had to re-read multiple sections multiple times. As I previously stated, this poem pulled at my emotions. I got angry, sad, and happy at different times while reading it. It goes to show people don't always have to understand what something is truly about to sense the feelings you are showing or letting go.

Mattawa is a powerful poet to be able to evoke emotions like he does. I was quite impressed with this book and him. My eyes will be kept open and searching for more of his work. I look forward to when I find it.

1 comment: